McLaren Park is one of the largest and most treasured parks in San Francisco. It was named after John McLaren, the Superintendent of Golden Gate Park from 1887-1943. The park’s 317 acres include natural areas rich in native plants and animals, lawns and planted gardens, as well as transition areas between the two. We feel that our neighborhood is greatly enhanced by our proximity to this historic space. However, parts of the park are in clear need of beautification and renovation, especially the former play area in the northwestern corner at the intersection of Peru and Burrows Streets.
The Peru St. Play Area site is one of the most glaring examples of deterioration. Instead of an inviting entrance to acres of green space, the area is a sad reminder that the neighborhood lacks a well-maintained playground. Where a playground once thrived, now sits a dirty sand pit that parents are afraid to let their kids play in because dogs use it as a bathroom. There is also one sad metal swing set that is bent and worn. Moreover, our neighborhood is comprised primarily of families who lack yards for their children to play in and have inadequate access to a public playground within walking distance of their homes.
If we can restore this play area and sustain improvements with our volunteer efforts, our children and future generations to come will have direct access to the safe and engaging outdoor play space they need and deserve.
McLaren Park Peru St. Play Area
San Francisco, CA
May 12, 2010
SF Recreation and Park Department
Neighborhood Parks Council
Supervisor John Avalos' Office
San Francisco Parks Trust
There is no set timeline for our project, but we would like to break ground as soon as funding allows.